Re: Bosch Platiunum Plugs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bosch Platiunum Plugs
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 07:57:45 +0200
Peter J. Thomas schrieb:

> Gernot Vonhoegen wrote:
>
> > IMHO platinum plugs are a waste of money and a sales gimmick.
> > But that was not the question, just bend them as you used to bend
> them,
> > the "special tool#" doesn't work any better as I found out.
> > Gernot
>
> This is only personal experience on one car.  The Bosch platinum plugs
> are
> very suseptable to fouling.  The electrode has a small surface area
> (platinum is expensive) and it takes very little carbon to cover them.
> If
> you try to clean them with emery, you eat right through the platinum.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.  The only advantage to platinum plugs is that
> they
> last longer.  Who cares spark plugs are cheap.  As for gapping, spark
> plugs
> come pregapped.  If you need to gap them, buy new plugs.
>
> Peter Thomas

ÐÏࡱ

As far as I know the main reason for designing and making the platinium
plugs was the need for a very relyable spark at long changing intervals. This
is
very important for cars with cathlytic converters as missing sparks(or unburned
fuel) will convert the converter to a exhauster only.

I myself made the experience that platinium plugs even after 45 000 km on my
everyday car looked like new and I only changed the plugs because I thought
it´s
time to change the plugs.

It makes not much sense to use expensive platinium plugs on a Triumph because
if
there should be nothing to repair we still like to change the plugs.

Gerhard

CC 31998 LO