help me start it?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: help me start it?
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik.quackenbush@scala.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:58:53 -0500

OK, the car is back together and the weather is suitable but I can't get
the freshly repaired engine in my TR-6 PI to start. So far I've:

1. Replaced the battery that went bad over the winter. The starter cranks
fine.

2. Checked the injectors- the are all spraying a fine cone of fuel, and
I've got a good
105 PSI going into the metering unit. I did re-time the metering unit per
the manual during assembly.

3. Hooked up an inductive timing light and adjusted static timing to 10
degrees BTDC
per the book. Since the light triggers can I assume I'm getting adequate
spark? I
have an MSD in the circuit.

4. I haven't installed the air box yet. When I crank then engine I
sometimes see small puffs of exhaust coming out of the air intakes in
sequence and I've had a couple of weak backfires. I've tried twiddling the
enrichment control and the throttle.

5. Oil pressure builds to about 50psi after cranking for a while. I did fix
a leak
in the line to the gauge.

6. Tonight I'm going to try some fresh gas.

Any other suggestions? Does it sound like bad fuel? Could my spark be 180
degrees
off? Anything else obvious I should check?

Thanks,

-Erik
--
Erik Quackenbush N3ZVC, IC Engineering Manager, Scala R&D http://www.scala.com