Re: seelastik

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: seelastik
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:56:12 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On April 6, Dave Terrick wrote:

>As I tear my cars apart I find seelastik applied to all the seams and it
>worked very well at plugging up the grinder, sandpaper,  - or whatever
tool I >was using! Do you have any references to modern materials to
replace
>the "old ones"?

Hi, Dave
How's things going?
I think you can still get Seelastic - in England anyway - but that's not
much good to you. Earlier today, there were several responses to this on
the list giving names of proprietary products which are available your side
of the big pond. Of course, the names mean nothing to me but I guess
they're just as good - and probably better than those of yesteryear,
bearing in mind the advances made in various chemical products of this
sort. Unfortunately, I've already deleted my inbox and deleted the contents
of the deleted box as well, so can't pull them back.
One of the other products someone mentioned was a thing we called 'dum dum'
and yes, it does reveal my age. I'm 53 if anyone's interested!
Dum Dum's rather good for plugging up cracks where water is likely to get
in. I've not seen that around for a long time but a similar product would
be along the lines of self-amalgamating tape which is used in electrical
installations. Its highly malleable, remains permanently elastic, entirely
waterproof and non hardening throughout its life. Just before the winter, I
used a roll of this stuff sealing the trunk of a Spridget around the
wheelarches and floor joins. Rolled it into thin 'sausages' and inserted it
carefully in the body joins with a screwdriver. I'm told the trunk area
remained absolutely dry throughout the bad weather and no 'sweating'
either. An alternative product I've also used for stopping water leaks on
awkward body joints, is fast curing PTFE liquid pipe sealant. It cures in
minutes, and the related parts can be put back into service (if separated)
almost immediately. Non volatile, non toxic and with a working temperature
range of minus 50degC to plus 150C. Only problem is its white in colour.
Should be sufficient for even a Winnipeg winter or summer!
I'm sure other list members can come up with plenty of other product names
ideally suited to these functions and sold for the strictly automotive
applications now in view.
Regards
John