99% completed (long and boring)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 99% completed (long and boring)
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 22:59:06 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I happy to announce the completion (almost) of my MK1 Spitfire.  Its
almost like a birth in the family, almost don't know what to do with
it!!!  I only have a few minor odds and ends to do, such as letters,
bonnet badge, charging problem and a few detail items.  I have
Nebraska Historical plates on the car.  One time fee of  $66 that is
good for as long as I own the car.  Insurance is running $48 for 6
months with $10,000 coverage.  All in all it shouldn't cost much to
keep it maintained now.

I had it out on the highway friday night and it cruises nice and
smooth at 70mph.  I didn't want to push it until I'm confident that
the brakes are reliable and nothing major will be falling off.  After
working on it for ten years its sometimes hard to remember if I
tightened a particular bolt here and there!!!  Of course it could
just be the onset of old age to.  This spitfire definitely rides
nicer than the one I owned from 76 to 78.  But that one didn't have a
frame off restoration to fix all of its ills.

I do know I wouldn't have achieved the completion of this car anytime
soon if it hadn't been for this list and all of the people that
participate.  For those of you newbies out there, don't be afraid to
jump in with questions or answers.  I believe my car is proof that
this list works.

Now if only the 50mph winds would die down so I could drive the car.
I don't particularly want a sandblast job done just when I get it
done!

A special thanks goes to Joe Curry for his constant insights and
suggestions,  Rob Williams for coming through with a seat when I
thought all hope was lost, Spitbits for ordering those spitfire
unique things that the big 3 won't touch, Lew McKillop for provided
more of those little odds and ends that make the detail difference
and the rest of you I didn't mention, without you it would have been
a lot more tedious and frustrating job.

Being here in Nebraska for years I didn't realize there were any
Triumphs even in the area.  Now I've come to find out that they are
actually quite a few around.  I'm now looking forward to running into
you (not literally!!) so we can talk shop and admire these wonderful
cars.

Thanks all,

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (Back on the Road!!!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)