tr4 water pump pulley

To: RODNEY TONG <rjtong@yahoo.com>
Subject: tr4 water pump pulley
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:04:07 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>>>>> "RODNEY" == RODNEY TONG <rjtong@yahoo.com> writes:

    RODNEY> I have a water pump pulley that needs to be
    RODNEY> replaced on a 1964 TR4.  The washer that was
    RODNEY> holding on the pulley fractured off and allowed
    RODNEY> the pulley to move over the nut and off the water
    RODNEY> pump shaft.  There now also seems to be a lot of
    RODNEY> play now between the shaft and the pulley and the
    RODNEY> key way in the pulley is now twice the width of
    RODNEY> the key in shaft. I'm planning to replace the
    RODNEY> pulley, but my question to the list is what keeps
    RODNEY> the pulley from rubbing on the water pump.  If I
    RODNEY> were to tighten down on the washer nut assembly I
    RODNEY> could get the pulley to hit the water pump.  Is
    RODNEY> the pulley just supposed to float between the
    RODNEY> water pump and the washer nut assembly or am I
    RODNEY> missing something?

No, IIRC it rides on the bearing, tightened down all the way
and held in place by the nylock.  Most repro pulleys I've seen
this is not a proper fit.  I had to spend ~$20 at my local
machine shop to clean the repro pulley I got from TRF up, the
ID of the hole and the bearing surface were both out.  I just
took the pulley and pump in together and said "make this fit
right".  No problems since.
                                                        -MM