Re. PI and Mocal

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re. PI and Mocal
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:23:55 +0100
Hi, Roger.
Thanks for the reply.
First of all, please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to suggest you are
anything other than very careful or very perfect. On the contrary, your
reporting the problems you had with a Mocal adaptor most likely saved me
from wrecking my block. Obviously, I am extremely grateful to you for the
information.

I've fitted the adaptor this afternoon and yes, there are problems. The
instructions suggested fitting the unit with the smaller of the two inner O
rings, with a piece of Plasticene to indicate the sealing or otherwise. With
the smaller ring, the Plasticene was flattened to a depth of about 1/32" at
12 lb/ft tightening torque. Choosing the thicker O ring, I fitted the unit,
filled up and started the engine. Oil everywhere, leaking from the outer
seal.

Then, I tried using the thinner O ring on the inner seal land. This improved
matters to the extent that leakage was reduced to a modest dripping, more so
with the engine hot.

Tightening to 15lb/ft hasn't helped as yet.

It seems to me that I have arrived at the same point as you did, with a
perimeter leak with the thin inner seal. Since there's room for that seal to
spread a little, I'm going to leave the arrangement to settle for 24 hours.
On the basis that the inner seal might compress just enough to allow the
outer O ring to seal.

If that doesn't work, I'm sending the thing back, although I haven't seen
TRF adaptors on sale in the UK. In any event, there's no way I'm going
beyond 15lb/ft torque.

Re. my PI. Sorry, Roger, I'm not selling it. My intention is to use carbs
temporarily and sort out the PI at my leisure.

So, thanks again for the warning about the block fitting.

Dave Hill