TR3 head bolts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 head bolts
From: jmike@sky.net
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:26:02 -0500 (CDT)
Hello listers,

Although I read the list religiously, I very seldom have access to a computer
for long enough to actually communicate.  However, life is getting good, with
two good long rides in the LBC's this Easter weekend, and a chance to get some
work done around the house.

Took the Weenie (TR3) in today to have the head torqued down, the valves and
carbs adjusted.  Car runs pretty good, but sounded noisy to me, so I thought I
would let the experts do the adjustments, just to make sure that mine were OK.
Turned out mine were pretty fair, but the mechanic told me that "two head bolts
were starting to pull, and need to be replaced."

I trust this guy pretty much, but he's expensive.  Looks like I am still paying
from the ripoff artist that did the original resto three years ago.   Do any of
you have any comments as to how critical this condition can be, or advice about
how to handle.   The car gets driven about 200 miles per month, and I would
like
to put the work off as long as is possible.  Oil and water are fine, no head
gasket problems as of yet.   I had hopes of driving the car across the state
this year.

Thanks a lot in advance for your comments.

Mike Barron
70 TR6 (120 mile round trip this last Saturday.)
60 TR3 (30 miles on two lane roads yesterday.)