Re: TR3A ignition timing

To: drew@pixar.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A ignition timing
From: Thomas Meise <tm@mk3.teuto.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:15:03 +0200
At 15:09 13.04.98 -0700, drew@pixar.com wrote:

>Well, looks like the shocks are looking good and I'm thinking about tackling
>(playing around with) the ignition timing. Does anyone know what the dwell
>angle for a 3A is? The manual says the point gap should be set to .015"
>but I've never felt comfortable with feeler gages. I seem to recall that
>the manual say to set the timing to 0 deg. BTDC and then to move the
>vacum advance venier one mark BTDC which should yield 4 deg BTDC. Anyone
>have any other suggestions for setting the timing? There's been a bit
>of discussion on just advancing the timing until you get pinging under
>load above 3000 RPM. Is this what people refer to as setting the timing
>"by ear?" Is there a tutorial around anywhere on setting the timing?
>
>Thanks for any info,
>Drew
>
>--
>Drew Rogge
>drew@pixar.com

The dwell angle should be 60 +- 3.

First thing to do is to make sure that the right distributor is fitted.
The ignition timing depends on type of your engine specification. In case
of an
86 mm engine the summary of static, advance due centrifugal control and
vacuum
unit should not exceed 26-27 degrees.

If thereīs a wrong distributor fitted to your engine donīt wonder if it
doesnīt work.
The distributor for the 83 mm engine has a advance timing due weights and
springs
of max. 15 degrees. Thatīs  max. 30 dregrees timing on the crankshaft.
You must add static timing (4 degrees) and the advance due vacuum unit (
max. 15 degrees).
Thatīs too much advance for an 86 mm engine .

The Lucas Part No. for 83 mm engine: 40403, 40480, 40698, 40783, 40850
                       86 mm       : 40735, 40795