Engine shaking status

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine shaking status
From: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:57:16 -0400
Hi Everyone,

OK...after determining that my incorrect carb jet was causing my bad shaking, I
tried tuning and timing the beast.  She has smoothed out considerably but still
is slightly rough.  I don't get the puff, puff, puff,etc.
I get puff, puff, puff puff, puff, puff,puff, poo, puff, etc.(sorry about the
description).  The poo happens randomly.

Is this normal?  It is very slight and can be tolerated if need be.  I will be
changing the plugs(even though they are new) because they are sooty and NGK's.
I want to get some Champions.  Anyone know what model I need for a 65 TR4?

Also, I can't get her down past 1200 RPM's.  I'll check for vacuum leaks(again)
but previously have not found any.  One thing I noticed in my Bentley manual is
that there is a screw that is attached to the throttle lever on the front carb
that rides along the choke cam.  When the choke is closed there should be about
1/16 clearance between the screw and the cam.  I think that my screw is
touching the cam even when the choke is all the way closed.  This might cause
the throttle to stay slightly open and raise RPM's.  I know that my butterfly
valves are seated properly in the carbs so it can't be that.

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to all in the
past that have offered suggestions.  In answer to them, I have recent gas in
the tank and the wires are not crossed.  If I left others out , I apologise.

Cheers and thanks again

Alan Camhi
'65 TR4