Re: TR4 Windshield Removal

To: MRobe33243 <MRobe33243@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Windshield Removal
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, MRobe33243 wrote:
>      I have some welding to do along the bottom and both uprights of my
> windshield frame.  I have removed the metal glazibg strip which allows some
> sompression of the outer rubber glazing; but I am stumped.
>
>      do I pry the glass outwards from the strip or do I pry the outer rubber
> glazing inwards, glass and all?  Whatever, are there any special tools or
> magic concoctions that I should use?

DON'T, repeat DON'T pry on the glass with anything. I learned that lesson
a long time ago. Safest way is to carefully cut away the gasket on the
inside of the frame. You can try making sure there is no sealant holding
the gasket/glass in by working around the inside and outside with a
dulled putty knife or wooden shim, and then carefully pushing on the
glass until it breaks free of the frame. However, if the glass cracks,
I'll take no responsibility. It's risky and takes some practice! (Been
there, done that as well!)

Also, I'll assume that you then plan to remove the windshield frame from
the body, right? Not too difficult, so long as you get all the nuts and
bolts holding it in place.

--Andy