power heads

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Subject: power heads
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:46:45 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 09:43 20/04/98 PDT, you wrote:

>Yeah, dream on Roger.  I notice in the latest Moss Cattledog
>ads for aluminum (and cross-flow) MG, Big Healy and Sprite
>heads.  How come no-one has not done the same for Triumph
>motors.  Because all power is made in the heads, this is
>the best "bang-for-buck" horsepower conversion you could make
>to our old donks.  So why has'nt this been done?

It has - you've got the wrong cattledog. I think the one you want is called
Moss Performance Manual. There's 3-4 stages of tuning for each model covered
(TR's, Dolomite, Sprint, Spitfire), going up to a gas-flowed head with
full-race cam and Webers. They're not cheap, though. I did my own porting
and polishing, lapping and assembly, and still spent >$500 on the head (+
purchase: $300).

It is well worth it, though.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia