RE: Another Engine Rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Another Engine Rebuild
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:43:59 +0100
Just a note towards the use of lead backed and vanderwall bearings.
There seems to be a sort of confusion about these things. Std. bearings
are by nop means inferior if you use them for the intended purpose. The
good aspect about them is, that if you see your oil pressure dropping,
shut off your engine and you will be fine rebuilding it most times with
a set of new bearings and NO crank reground. If that happens to you with
vanderwalls, a crank regrind is necessary in most cases. Note that for
proper use of vanderwalls you really want a hardened crankshaft (i.e.
nitrited) Use of vanderwalls without hardining the crank IMHO is a waste
of money. Then they will last longer than the std bearings. All provided
proper warming up and use of appropriate oil.

Cheers, Gernot