Re: heads

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: heads
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:08:27 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tony,

At 13:54 28/04/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Allen, that sounds like a good method to do the measurement.  I'd just
>have to find the stock spec of valve-piston clearance.  Do you have
>any idea what that should be?

No - you might ask TRF, Moss, or Rimmer Bros. I read that it should be at
least .030" though (for any car), because the conn-rods actually stretch as
they pass TDC. I think .030" is 'cutting it' a bit too close, anyway (we're
not building dragsters here, are we?)

>I like the plasticene idea.  That reminds me of a (fanciful) story
>about Thomas Edison in his later years.  ... water and measured it, and
decided that the engineer was off only by 15%.

15% ?! That's outrageous. I guess he made a lousy estimate of the contour of
the light bulb. I could have done it without even damaging it (photograph
it, digitize the photo, and compute the volume of rotation).

>I will try to measure the head thickness around the edge hear and there.
>If that seems to give screwy results I might try the plasticene

That will only help if you have a new head to compare with. However, if you
go to a machinist who's experienced with your type of car, he should be able
to look at it and tell you how many times it's been planed, and how many
more it can be (my guy did!)

>Where does one get uprated springs?  I have seen only those for sale
>at the big 3, and these appear to be stock.

I got mine from Moss. They were only $25 for 8.

P.S. If you want to measure combustion chamber volume, I can describe the
procedure.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia