Re: Convertible top webbing

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Convertible top webbing
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 14:02:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I have crossed paths with four TR 4A tops... in varying states of
originality... but I will hit your questions with my best estimates...

John Middlesworth wrote:

> I am putting a new top (hood) on my TR4A and have some questions about the
> webbing:
> 1. Are the metal retaining pieces held in by rivets or screws?

Rivets

> 2. Are these same pieces painted?

No... raw.

> 3. What is the correct finish for the top frame (hoodsticks)?  Semigloss
> black?

a very odd, almost flesh-like color.  My guess, a semi-gloss enamel.  All I
can figure... is that it was a neutral color... in the same way that computer
equipment is mostly a boring color...    Whenever I've seen the metal
"black"... it had been painted by a DPO.

> 4. How do the webbing pieces attach at the front and rear?  (the strips I
> have include a short folded-over and sewn lip on one end and not the
> other--does that go at the front or back?

The webbing goes through a slot in the rear metal plate... and is folded over
a metal rod... (much like 1/8" pencil steel)...  and is then sewn back on
itself... with a rectangle and an X through it...

> 5. Was adhesive used on the very front as well as the very back of the
> convertible top?

Not sure.

> Thanks,
> John Paul Middlesworth
> 1966 TR4A

  Hope this helps... I can offer futher details where I was not clear.

--Justin
TR 4A's since 1977.
Los Angeles