Re: parking brake stuck TR4a

To: maineac <maineac@gateway.net>
Subject: Re: parking brake stuck TR4a
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 11:56:04 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

maineac wrote:

> >From: DShoop7572 <DShoop7572@aol.com>
> >Subject: parking brake stuck TR4a
> >

> >     This is probably a pretty basic question but I pulled the brake
> handle
> >up, it clicked on way up but  now won't release. I don't have much room in
> the
> >garage to get under the car. What will need to be done to release it?
> >
> >                                                               Not a mechanic
>
> While I don't have a TR4, I do have a TR3, and the hand brake is called a
> "fly off" brake in the owners manual.  I, too, struggled with the release
> procedure when I first set the brake on mine.  The secret is that the
> button on the handle is there only to set the brake, not release it.  To
> release the brake, just pull up (thumb off of the button!!) and then let
> go.  I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's sooo British.

This combined with the unusual lift to reverse shifting are build in anti theft
devices.  When I brought my TR4A home, I swung my nose into the driveway and
then
back out into the street so I could back into the driveway.  After 5 minutes of
trying to remember how to put the car in reverse, I set the hand brake.  Once I
got it in reverse, I couldn't release the handbrake until I removed the
handbrake
cover and examined the mechanism.  All the while, three feet of the nose were
stinking out into a busy street.  My wife stood and laughed.

Peter Thomas