Re: Bike Rack?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bike Rack?
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 08:14:07 -0600
Cc: rdaniels@snet.net
Bob Danielson pondered:
>A really weird question.  Has anyone ever put a trunk mounted bike
>rack on a TR6? If so, what type?

Not so weird.  I rigged up a piece of angle iron between the
lower edges of the rear over riders on my GT6 so that I can
set a Rhode Gear rack on it.  I have hauled mountain bikes
all over NM and Colorado like this.  With the big bumper on
the TR6, you should have no problem.  Use a bungie cord to
keep the slack out of the two straps that keep the rack from
rocking from side to side so that they don't come unhooked
when you go around a corner.  There are several different
brands of similar racks that are almost infinitely adjustable
for different cars.  The angle iron that I used is small
enough that I can put a couple of hose clamps around it and
the tubing on the rack for extra stability.  If you do this,
you don't have to worry about the bungie cord to remove the
slack.  I have some photos of the car with a bike on it that
I am going to scan and post on the RMTC web page one of these
days.
Dave