TR3 - Watertight???

To: ndc12@scasd.k12.pa.us
Subject: TR3 - Watertight???
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:43:35
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Nate,

>so then I guess the big question is whether the TR3 is watertight...

My car is not a daily driver, and rarely sees rain, but it is pretty tight.
 The few times I've been caught in the rain, and had the sidecurtains and
hood (top) with me (very rare), it was pretty water tight.  The leak at the
top of the windscreen is still there, barely.

I'll respond to your next question in advance.  The cold.

My wife and I took our TR3 out last winter with the temps in the low
20'F's.  It was a bit drafty, but warm, even with a 165F thermostat.  We
were wearing coats, but I had only light driving gloves on my hands.  Yes,
the sidescreens and hood were in place.

I especially enjoyed my New Years Day drive.  I hadn't driven the car in a
month.  It was in the low 20F's again, but I had the toneau installed over
the passenger side.  Also, real gloves, etc.  Note: We didn't have any salt
on the roads in northern NJ yet, otherwise it would be parked.  The drive
was wonderful, but the people in NJ (who normally pretend not to be looking
at our LBC), were STARING at me, for some reason or another.

I don't think I'd enjoy the car driving in the rain or cold on a ongoing
basis; but that's just the nature of the beast; it's a roadster.  For me
the car is a sunny day vehicle.  But when you must endure wet or cold
conditions, a TR3 will do just fine.

BTW - The carpets are held in place with snaps though, just in case.

Good luck.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
brooks@belcotech.com