RE: Spitfire Fuel Line

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Fuel Line
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:14:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )

>   Not to spoil your great record of advice but... The MKIV only has one
>opening at the top of the tank for fuel to come out. So It can't be the
>vent.
*******************************
Well, mine (a 72) came from the factory with an additional pipe at the top
of the tank,  about 1-2 inches to the side of the filler.  This is used to
vent through a catch tank in the trunk, located on the passenger side rear
wing, then through the aformentioned tube to the canister in the engine
compartment.  If it has a canister, then it has a non vented cap- and as
far as I know, all MK4's destined for the U.S. had these installed.  Even
the MK3's of 70's vintage used them.  Is it possible that your tank has
been replaced with an eariler one?

A close inspection this weekend revealed the vent tube near the filler neck
that points toward the passenger side of the car. The fuel connection points
toward the drivers side. The only venting equipment for the car is one long
hose that ran to the front of the car to the carbon canister. The material
the vent line is made of is the same as the raw fuel line that leaves the
top
of the tank and joins the steel line near the rear axle. There is no
evidence
of a catch tank in the trunk compartment. I am pretty sure it was rigged as
original as it was a CA car complete with tons of paperwork showing
inspections or attempted inpection in CA by the several women that owned it.
   On a side note it had several sheets from mechanics to the State (CA)
trying to explain that some Spitfires had a Delco distributer even though
the
inspection photos show a Lucas. Evidently it had been failed a few times for
not matching the pictures. Is it really that bad in California? How do you
get around it with your custom cars?
Later,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L