TR6 flywheel ring gear on backwards?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 flywheel ring gear on backwards?
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:50:47 -0700
The ring gear on my TR6's flywheel has the beveled edge facing towards the
rear; the flat edge faces forward and is thus  engaged by the starter.
This arrangement seems to be the reverse of what I would expect, especially
compared to other ring gear/starter configurations I have experienced.

Somewhere on the web I read something about Triumph changing their starter
design from engaging from the rear (forward motion) to engaging from the
front (backwards motion) but not reversing the ring gear due to a large
stock of pre-assembled flywheels on hand.

My LBC mechanic swears that the ring gear should be installed with the flat
edge facing forward.  Otherwise, according to him, the starter will
eventually force the ring gear off the flywheel.

I know LBCs are notorious for their idiosyncrasies but does anyone have
knowledge of the above and can help clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 CP51649