Q: Bringing my '73 TR-6 to Calif. - non-operational?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Q: Bringing my '73 TR-6 to Calif. - non-operational?
From: Ken Key <key@Network-Alchemy.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:26:31 -0700
Cc: key@Network-Alchemy.COM

Hi Folks,

   This is a regional question about California - those who aren't
interested might want to skip over the message now.  I've been off the
list over 4 years, hopefully my post isn't too out-of-sync with the list.

When I moved here 4 years ago, I had to leave my 1973 TR-6 behind.  It had
just had an engine and trany overhaul, but the trany overhaul was not
successful (read, I need someone else who knows *Triumph* tranys to look
work on it).  It has headers and a mild Isky cam, so at the time I would have
had to do a fair amount of work to bring it into the state and make it
legal.

Now, Calif. has SB 42, which makes '73 and older cars exempt from smog
restrictions.  While the car's been back in Tennessee, it wasn't run regularly
and hasn't been fired up in over 3 years now.  Needless to say, it's
non-operational and if I bring it in, it's going to need some help.

Can anyone give me clues to what grief I'm going to run into if I try to
bring it into the state, register as non-operational, fix it up/get it
fixed up, and then try to get it registered as road-worthy?

Amoung my concerns:

  Are my headers and cam still legal under SB 42 even though I'm bringing a
  car in from out-of-state or are those only for cars already registered
  in the state?

  What is involved in going from registered as non-operational to operational?

  How can I road-test the car for repair purposes without being registered
  as operational?  (and if a test is required for being registered
  operational, how can I test the car beforehand - catch 22!).

  Does anyone know of a part of the state govt that I can ask these
  questions of?  Some branch of the DMV?  CARB?

Lastly, any recommendations/warnings about shops in the Santa Cruz/South Bay
area?  I want to make sure my TR-6 is a safe, legal, fun ride to go up and
down (what's left of) Hwy 1.

many thanks for any info and warnings!
Ken Key

PS.  In years past, I have considered my choice of vendors for parts, in order,
as The Roadster Factory, Moss Motors, Victoria British.  Is that still
the conventional wisdom?
--
Ken Key (key@network-alchemy.com)
Network Alchemy,    Santa Cruz, CA