Re: ARGHGHGHGH ! (Sybill won't start)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ARGHGHGHGH ! (Sybill won't start)
From: Keith Laws <triumph@tollhouse.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:04:45 +0100
In message <01IYCDI76T5M0000YR@holly.nene.ac.uk>,
RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK writes

>>I take it from the discussions that North American Spits actually refuse
>>to start if you are not belted up.
>
>>My 1980 1500 (UK spec) has a seatbelt warning light that is activated in
>>either of two instances:
>
>>1 - ignition on, driver's belt not inserted.
>
>>2 - ignition on, weight on passenger seat but passenger belt not
>>inserted.
>
>>As far as I can see there is no seatbelt module as is being discussed,
>>it is simply a couple of wiring rings that cause the light to come on if
>>they are completed by the relevant switches.
>
>>It looks like I should be glad I have a UK spec car rather than a NA one
>>as when I failed the MOT due to a frayed seatblet I just had to fit a
>>new (non-electric) one and push the wiring out of the way under the
>>carpet, and the car started fine afterwards.
>
>>Does this mean that everytime you want to carry a heavyish object in the
>>passenger seat you have to belt it up?
>
>Yep, I think that's the case, I think they (the Yanks :-)) also had some crappy
>gear lever lockout too where by the starter wouldn't turn if in gear, Is this
>true????
>
>Cheers
>
>Rich
>ex-TSSC Leicester Area Organiser.
>
>ps, Hello Henry if your back over there yet!

Without being too insulting to all you folks on the wrong side of the
Atlantic, I never cease to be amazed at the general lack of intelligence
that Industry and the Law over there credit you with.

Even to the extent that some US products we have in the UK have "Will be
hot when heated" written on the packet.

I guess that if some halfwit started his car in gear and demolished his
front wall, his first thought would be to sue the manufacturers for not
puting some kind of lockout on the gearbox.

We have compulsory seatbelt laws over here as well, but our cars aren't
disabled just because we choose not to abide by them.
--
Keith Laws
TSSC Hants & Berks Area