Re: TR3 Engine Painting

To: jmccarr@ibm.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Engine Painting
From: Gbouff@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:45:13 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/98 5:53:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jmccarr@ibm.net
writes:
 This engine shows a blue-green color.  I've talked to some that say just
 paint it black.

 Has anyone identified  that original color and a source?  The car is
 going to be a driver not restored for show.  This is just a
 consideration should I someday become  the DPO.

 Anyone have any tips or "don't do's" on engine surface preparation and
 painting?

 Jack McCarrick
 '60 TR3A

The book " Original Triumph TR2/3/3A " by Bill Piggott addresses this
question.  He states that while most engine blocks were painted black, there
is evidence of dark blue, red, and a sea-green metallic.  The sea-green
metallic was the standard finish given to factory reconditioned engines.  I
hope that this answers your question.
I have bought and read several books on Tr3s, as I am in the middle of my
first frame up restoration and I wish that I had read this book first.  It is
by far the most complete as far as originality goes.

Gary Bouffard
TS 58399