welding and dogleg

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: welding and dogleg
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:58:22 EDT
Dear list-
Two questions. One - I need to do some welding on my TR3B, and have access to
a gas welding outfit (I need to learn first, but I'm looking forward to it). I
know there have been welding threads in the past, but I didn't keep them.
So...
Let's hear the gas vs. arc debate again (sorry if it's old news). Mapp gas is
supposedly safer than acetylene - but does it get hot enough? Thanks for the
input.
Also...
The passenger side dogleg is rusted at the bottom only. It has to be cut off,
but the rest is too good to waste. The big three sell complete doglegs, but I
don't want to spend that much or deconstruct Rusty to that extent. Does anyone
sell a patch similar to the front wing panels from TRF? How about if I make a
mold off of a good TR3 and construct my own fiberglass patch for the bottom
6-8 inches of the dogleg?
As always, thanks for your advice.
Les Landon
Baton Rouge, LA