Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)

To: sweisman@gis.net, amley001@gold.tc.umn.edu
Subject: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:38:15 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-06-19 08:47:25 EDT, sweisman@gis.net writes:

>  I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly
>  [again?]) that a 50 - 50 mixture of ethylene glycol and water was right.

FWIW, water is a better coolant than anti-freeze.  However it does bad things
to your cooling system - rust, corrosion and - if it freezes solid -boom.  A
mixture of 50/50 is touted by the chemical manufacturers because it 1) ensures
that the inhibitors etc. in the anti-freeze are there to prevent those
problems and 2) it sells more of their product.

But 70/30 (water/antifreeze) works ok for me in the Florida summer.  Seems to
give enough protection. (I also use water-wetter.)   As for winter - if we had
one in Fl, I would go to 50/50, which is what I used to do in the Northeast US
and in Germany/Italy years ago.  Cheers.

Art Kelly