Re: gear oil

To: gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk
Subject: Re: gear oil
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:45:04 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-06-23 13:05:51 EDT, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk writes:

> Talking about replace with a grease nipple, same text as the manual. BUT
>  what thread, what diameter and what speaks against leaving the damn
>  grease nipple on once its fitted?

OK, the grease nipples from the wheel grease points fit just fine.  In fact
the manual says to take out the steering rack plug, fit a grease nipple that
you took off the front suspension, grease the rack and then replace the nipple
on the suspension and the plug on the rack.

After years of doing that, I bought 2 nipples (the ones sold for the other
grease points).  That way I just have to install the nipple without taking it
from one of the other grease points.

As to why they just didn't install and leave a nipple there - the only thing I
can figure is they didn't want dirt getting into the rack.  Dirt sure is not
going to get through the plug but maybe could get in through the nipple.

Art Kelly