tr3a resto-progress report #2

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tr3a resto-progress report #2
From: don pikovnik <donp@ncweb.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:14:07 -0400
List members:

Since my last message (6/7/98) I've spent quite a bit of time getting the
front body section off.  Several things hold it on even with the mounting
bolts removed.  I disconnected the throttle linkage and removed the carbs.
I cut the front brake lines near the frame. (The fittings were seized
solidly) My car has the two piece steering column so I loosened the bracket
holding the two pieces together. I fed the front part of the wiring harness
through the bulkhead grommets.  I removed the tach drive from the distributor.

Though the body was loose, it still seemed to be stuck on something.  It
felt like the steering column was not free to slide but on the advise of
Bill Sachse, another list member, I tried spreading the bracket and the
column did come loose from the spline.  So I'm home free, right?  Wrong,
something was still holding the body.  After a GREAT DEAL of fiddling
around and looking to see what was holding it, I removed the temp sending
unit from the thermostat and lo and behold, the body is now off.

Yesterday afternoon (Saturday) I met Bill Sachse from Erie, PA.  He drove
his '59 TR3A over to my house in NE Ohio and we talked TR's.  After seeing
my project, his advice was to find a car with a more solid body to save a
lot of time and effort.  We looked at pictures of his restoration and then
we took his car for a drive around the block-and he let me drive!  After
all these years, I'd forgotten how much fun a TR3 is to drive.  What a
great motivator.  If you're reading this, Bill, thanks a million.

Today a friend who happens to work in a body shop came over and gave me
pretty much the same advice as Bill S.  So any list members with a TR3 with
a decent body they want to sell, give me a holler.

The car is now a rolling chassis and I'm beginning to take off the
mechanicals.  So far I've remove the parking brake cable and mechanism,
driveshaft, and rear brakes.  Anyone know how to align the rear axle when
reassembling?

That's all for now.

Don Pikovnik