TR7 story (was Re: Book: World's Worst Cars... and the TR6)

To: jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR7 story (was Re: Book: World's Worst Cars... and the TR6)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:43:15 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-29 12:30:52 EDT, jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com writes:

> It is true that Triumph TR7s are a bit fiddly compared with your
>  average rice burner today but that is generally true across the board
>  due to technological improvements in manufacturing techniques and
>  computerized engine controls. The post-1979 TR7s were quite good for
>  their time and have gotten a bad rap due to the problems that afflicted
>  the pre-1979 cars and the largely uninformed and perhaps even
>  irresponsible journalism of some writers.
>
>  John T. Nichols

I agree with you.  This is what my research has shown me.  The TR7 got a bad
rap early on.  Even after the labor dispute was settled and the cars were
being properly built, the TR7's reputation did not recover.

BTW - This was one of the principle reasons why Triumph eventually went out of
business.  The company never could recover from the perception that it built
bad cars.  By the time the TR8 came along it was too late - sales just weren't
there anymore.  IMO - the union cut off its nose to spite its face.

Art Kelly