RE: Preserving Good Information +

Subject: RE: Preserving Good Information +
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 06:22:11 -0400
There's a little insight in everyones comments.

Certainly agreement on what is a "pearl" and what is "trash" will always
exist when strong differing beliefs exists. With the exception of things
that some people just plain make up to stir controversy, there's
generally a little bit of truth or experience in the strength of those
convictions.  Two people can look at a the same traffic accident from
different viewing angles and experiences and report it differently.

When strong controversy exists the summary used could show a sample of
all opinions.  Schools are starting to teach that more than one way
exists to solve a problem..  This list has proven that.  The "mole skin"
adaption comes to mind.  This differs from the way many of us learned to
approach things as a single hard exclusive answer.  The weathering of
time generally adds new information to each of those views and
eventually tie breaks.  What happens now is that each view tries to shut
the other out, we never get beyond the loudness setting.

I noticed the archives existance and certainly commend the effort of all
that have contributed to making any of these resources available.  The
comment about how stored information is stored is key.  Without any
logical organization the volume of content soon makes research a very
time consuming treasure hunt for each of us everytime.  I consider the
fact that the archive even exists a major plus.  Those archives
certainly make a base to start from.

The comments which suggest a broader look at the information expresses a
need.  Those of us that are new to this,  search for primary information
on corrosion removal and the best way to keep it from coming back. Yes
rust actually occurs on "some" Triumphs.  It's a problem we all have to
solve.   The Triumph focus is what keeps us all coming back, I wouldn't
want to lose that capability, yet also have the need for information
that applies to any vehicle.

The recurring need for basic or updated information exists,  it's still
a question of what can we do to help the next guy.  Those of us in this
beginners class will have to continue to find things the traditional
way.   Those of you that are "old salts"  keep sharpening your skills.
I'm off to the www bookstore.