MY MISTAKE - PLEASE READ

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MY MISTAKE - PLEASE READ
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:13:36 EDT
Fellow listers,

Next to my computer, I keep a stack, about a foot tall, of wiring diagrams,
shop manuals, vendor catalogs, text books, etc. In addition to that, I have a
fairly large collection of books about LBCs, including all of the "original"
series. Before I answer a question, even if I am certain I know the answer, I
refer to these just to be sure. If I can't confirm my answer there, I will
contact someone, either on the list or in person, to get the correct info. I
will often go examine a vehicle personally to ensure that my answers are
correct. I even flagged down a later model MGB in a parking lot once, and
asked the very surprised owner to lift the hood so I could get the information
I needed. I try extremely hard to make sure my answers are correct, as well as
complete. If I don't know the answer, or if I'm not absolutely sure, I won't
reply. Few things bother me more than to know I have given some incorrect
advise.

Never the less, sometimes I do make mistakes. When I posted the instructions
for converting a generator system to a GM alternator (for the TR3, TR4, TR4A,
Spitfire MKI, MKII, MKIII, and the GT6MKI), I made an error. According to the
information I had, the brown/yellow and the brown/green wires (yellow/green
and yellow in the TR2 TR3, TR3A, or TR3B) going to the generator were the same
size, and I based my instructions on that. I have since learned (today) that
the brown/green wire is smaller than the brown/yellow (yellow/green is smaller
than the yellow in the TR2 -3 series), and is really undersized even to carry
the relatively small current in one of these cars. I don't believe there is
any danger of imminent meltdown, but I am not at all comfortable with using
the brown/green wire as specified.

This only applies to cars that previously had generators - the alternator
conversions are correct. If you have converted your car using the instructions
I wrote, please upgrade the wiring as I suggested in the instructions, or
rewire to the corrected instructions, to be posted soon. I will revise the
instructions to use the larger brown/yellow wire, which is suited for carrying
the normal current load. For the Spitfire and the GT6, the corrected
instructions are almost as simple as before, but the TR series will be a
little more complicated. The revised instructions will be similar in format to
the present ones, in that there will be one set for using the existing wiring,
with its limitations, and another for upgrading the wiring to use the full
alternator capacity. I am leaving tomorrow for Atlanta, and I will be back
Sunday evening. My first task Monday morning will be to make the corrections
and get them to Ken Streeter and Tom Shirley for posting, but I wanted to give
everyone a "heads-up" as soon as I was certain of my mistake.

The other day I spotted a sign in front of a church that said "don't worry
about being embarrassed, worry about being ashamed." Right now, I am both.
More than that, though, I really feel bad that I have given some bum advice to
folks who trust me.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN