Pre-tuning carb adjustments

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Pre-tuning carb adjustments
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 13:16:01 -0400
Having completed the conversion to HS4's on my '80 spitfire, I can't
keep it running to make the carb adjustments.  The throttle adjusting
screws are as specified -- backed out until cleared from the throttle
lever and turned "in" one full turn.  The jet adjusting nuts were
screwed up until the jet was flush with the bridge of the carb.  One
would obtain the height of the bridge, the other a bit short.  Both
adjusting nuts were then turned down two full turns.  I then adjusted
one upward and the other downward until the two were equal -- both now
being equal at about .048 below the bridge.
The engine will start, run a few seconds (at a fast idle) and promptly
dies.  The dash pots are currently dry and the air box is off.  The
dampers are fitted with a vent hole that is currently blocked; as I
correctly/incorrectly installed the rubber gaskets that came with the
rebuild kits.  Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ed Hamilton