Re. Drippy Injectors

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re. Drippy Injectors
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 21:21:35 +0100
Hi, All,

Re. this,

I suspect that the injectors are

> >not opening and closing cleanly. As they are, I doubt they could pass
> the
> >'drip test' and I suspect that a fair amount of fuel is going into
> the
> >engine AFTER the inlet valves have closed. This would make the fuel
> go
> >through the motor without ever meeting a spark.

I reckon that, in the Triumph PI system, the line pressure to each injector
rises briefly as the port in the MU allows fuel thru. However, the pressure
is unlikely to fall to zero in between pulses.
So, if the injectors are dripping, that fuel will hang around in the
manifolds until the next induction stroke sucks it into the cylinders, along
with the measure of fuel which is meant to be there.
Using this logic, the fuel could either run into the cylinders, as has been
suggested, or could even evaporate to an extent in the inlet tract.

Everyone is quite correct in saying that the fuel would meet a spark-there
is, of course, no other way through. The point is that, if the injectors are
delivering fuel constantly-even when they should be closed and dry- the
consumption is bound to suffer as a result.

Incidentally, I borrowed a factory TR6 manual today. In it are the four
commandments.....

Do not alter the datum track setting.
Do not alter the full speed mixture.
Do not alter the diaphragm spring preload.
Replace injectors that can't pass the drip test or the pressure/flow tests.

Since the DPO appears to have broken the first three, my conscience remains
undisturbed about stripping the injectors.

Thanks for the help one this one,

Dave Hill, UK.