Re: tr4 turns over but won't go

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: tr4 turns over but won't go
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:56:08 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Keith McGahan wrote:

> My brain is fried so I thought that I ask for some help.  My TR4
> presently has all stock part with SU Carbs.  The problem started after a
> 800 mile road trip where the car ran great.  When finally returning home
> I parked the car and let it rest for a few days.  When I went to take it
> out for a drive I had to crank it over about 5 time till it started, I
> thought it was just cold.  Well, the condition got worse. Today the only
> way to get her running is to compression started. I have checked all the
> connection,and after she is running is fine. I don't even know where to
> start. Does any one know what might be the problem? If so could you let
> me know.  Thanks Keith

        Kieth

        My first guess is electrical. I think most "it won't
        start"  problems are there.

        First determine if you are getting a reliable spark check ALL
        connections. Is there power to the coil? Check the ends of the
        high tension lead from coil to the distributor.

        It not wanting to start cold makes me think spark.
        Check the distributor points rotor and cap.

        If you have a good back-up coil, try it.

        Then after thoroughly checking eletricals move to fuel system.

        My bet though is electrical

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois