Oil underneath at high speeds

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil underneath at high speeds
From: Victor Michael <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:01:52 -0500
Greetings,

I've taken my unnamed Spitfire out on the road and after driving on the
expressway for as short as 10 minutes, exit and sit at a traffic signal,
puffs of smoke come from under the car.  It only does this once and lasts for
a short time, so my guess is that at higher speeds, oil is spun onto the
exhaust system and burns off quickly.  There is some oil on the underside of
the driver side floorboard but I see nowhere the oil could have come from.
The drive shaft is at either side of where the oil is and where the smoke
appears to be coming from. The rear differential is a bit oily, but is in the
rear of the car.

My plan, I think, should be to clean the underside of the car (suggestions?),
check all oil levels (engine, trans and differential), take it our for spin
on the expressway and examine the results.

Without expecting too much, what seems to be the most likely cause and does
this sound very serious (rebuild)?

Thanks in advance,

Vic
'77 Spitfire (open to suggestions for names)