Re: TR dash replacement time

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR dash replacement time
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:21:38 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian,

        I have taken out the dash several times. Just once to replace it.
Other times
        to fix the heater fan, replace the windscreen molding, etc. Ten
hours is on the
        high side. But let me give some advice (from memory):
                1) Remove the speedo, and tack cables first
                2) Remove the speedo and tack thumb nuts. It's probably best
to get on your
                back laying on the drivers side floor with a pen flashlight
in your
                mouth, since it's your first time. (Who said it's a clean
hobby?)
                3) Remove the 4 (5?) screws holding the wood dash to the
metal frame.
                4) Remove the glove box retaining screws
                5) remove the the two thumb nuts from each of the gauges.
                6) You should now be able to move the dash forward enough to get
                at all wiring for the gauges.
                7) Replace in reverse order.
                8) Ask wife/girlfriend for a backrub. You'll probably need it.

        Best advice of all: Take the keys out the ignition. Write a note,
taping it to the keys
        saying, "Do not start the engine until the oil gauge tube is
replaced and tight!"

        Good luck,
        Jeff Nathanson
        '72 TR6

At 05:34 PM 7/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm after a rough estimate of the time required to change the
>wood dash panel in my TR6.  It is my intention to not do anything
>else at the time.  All dash pads and instruments are in good
>shape.  Everything but the wood panel works.   The wires are all
>tagged and the backs of the gauges are labeled with the wire
>colors.  The DPO actually did something right.
>
>I expect it will take 2-3 hours to remove the old dash and
>install the new one, so I plan to budget 8-10 hours for the task.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Brian Kemp
>72 TR6

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.