Tuning Questions TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tuning Questions TR6
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 22:01:05 -0700
Happy weekend to all!

I tuned the 6 the other night and had it out this
evening for a nice cool summer drive but wasn't
really happy with the performance. I set the timing
(idle) to 4 deg ATDC and tuned the carbs (I hadn't
touched them since early spring).

Here's what I experienced that I'd like your thoughts
on before I tinker.

1.  I noticed that the advance hose at the carb end had
    collapsed when I was tuning so I had enough hose to cut
    and put back, worked fine. After the drive tonight it was
    collapsed agin at the same spot. Any causes?
2.  It took an extended period of driving before the idle settled
    in at 800 RPMs (almost toward the end of a good 45 minute drive)
    Prior to this it would drop to around 200 and almost, but not,
    cut out.
3.  Noticed a distinct change in the exhaust note when I let off
    the gas. Gave a much more noticible gurgle (sorry, all I cold
    think of to convey the sound), but not a back fire.  Any thoughts.

As always, thanks for your responses in advance.

By the way, this Sunday the wife and I will be going out with
the Central PA Triumph Club to its first Drive-In Movie Nite.
The owner has agreed to reserve the first two rows for our club
and we have invited the Appalachian Sports Car Club, Cumberland
Valley Classics, and the Central PA Corvette Club.
Should be quit a sight of great cars!

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6