Wire wheel interchangeability

To: kengano@advant.com
Subject: Wire wheel interchangeability
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:45:40
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>While shopping for wheels, a thought occurs.  Which are stronger, 48, 60 or
>72 spoke.  I would think "more is better" but I've been wrong on my
>engineering before.  Also, will a TR6 72 spoke fit on my TR3 splines?

Ken,

More is definitely stonger and wider in the rim too.  From memory, and I'm
not certain, but I believe as follows:

TR2/3   48 spoke        4 inch wide  ???
TR4/?   60 spoke        4.5 inch wide ???
TR6     72 spoke        5.5 or 6 inch wide ???

You don't want to go for 72 spokes on a TR3.  I've seen it.  It doesn't
look right, at least to me.  I've heard that 60 is plenty strong enough on
a TR3, even for autocrossing.

I am also reasonably certain that all will fit on the same spline,
however.......

For the definitive answers, call British Wire Wheel, Santa Cruz, CA
408-479-6784.  They carry Dayton, Dunlop etc. and seem to really know their
stuff.

I have no interest in BWW.

Jack