Speedometers & Overdrives

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedometers & Overdrives
From: Frank Biedermann <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:33:58 +0930
I'm a little curious as to how the speedometer works on a TR6
trans when you have an overdrive unit installed. As I understand
it, the overdrive unit basically fits on the rear end of the gearbox
and alters the final drive ratio using extra gears when it is engaged.
Wouldn't this throw the speedo reading out, or is there some sort
of compensator added in when the o/d units is attached? As you
can probably tell the gearbox on my TR6 does not have an o/d
unit...

BTW this question is not urgent, so don't go overboard trying to
answer this question... I'm sort of thinking of maybe going for
an overdrive unit sometime in the future - I've got other more
pressing problems with my TR, like getting the speedo to read
correctly in the first place (PO had put some very undersized
tyres on the rear - 205/60s - must get around to changing them
to 215/70 at some stage...).

Thanks,

Frank Biedermann
Research Officer (Statistics)
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
ph: (+61) 8 8372 7439
fax: (+61) 8 8372 7438
e-mail: frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au