Spit - 1500 info requests

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit - 1500 info requests
From: autoxr@zebra.net (Erik Bjorkner)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:32:58 -0500
I have purchased a SPIT with a 1500.  It has a 75+ distributor
and the beams in the door.  The add said 73 and one of the
owners said 74.  I don't have the title yet but there can always
be parts changed so... Nevertheless, it has NO rust and is made into
an autocorsser without any major changes.  I have most of
the parts including the SMOG to put it back on the street.  It
has a low RPM hot cam, header and the head has been
cut along with new pistons to give about 12 or 13 :1.

My questions are:

I have noticed the distributor cap is lose, even the new one
does not fit as tight as it should I think.  It is a tall cap, the
parts man.. yep there are still some people who know what
they are looking at when they see it instead of just typing
into a computer, said it was the later model.

I have the alternator hooked up only as a belt tensioner,
thus the car and the crane electronics run off the battery.
What I want to do is install a switch to activate the alternator
when I want and turn it off.  The alternator has three male
spade terminals in a straight vertical line.  Which ones do I
need to connect to the battery and to a switch?

What size is the stock gas tank?

It currently has 8inch wide by 20 inch tall slicks mounted
on some type of steel wheel.  The studs have been changed
to TR7 and the rim is marked 13 X 5.5 but it looks wider.
Any thoughts?

What can a basically stock 1500 take as far as RPM's.
Right now I have it set at 5500.

I have not ran it yet, first race is this Sunday.  The car was built about
three years ago and raced less than a hand full, about 30 miles on the motor.
Thanks in advance, Erik