RE: Stuck Rear Axles - 1966 TR4A IRS (And it gets worse)

Subject: RE: Stuck Rear Axles - 1966 TR4A IRS (And it gets worse)
From: "Tom Winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:24:25 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Even heat did not loosen the Outer Axle Shaft from the Driving Hub Assembly
(Moss TRI-7, April 13, page 40 7 41, items 65 and 84). Today I had to order
the complete rebuilt outer axle and hub assembly for both sides. One thing
for sure, when I get her back - she should be in wonderful shape.

In case some of you might not be aware, some of these parts are very hard to
locate. I will have to admit that what was to be a simple replacement of the
rear universals turned into a major operation. The news just got worse day
by day. The guys working on my TR have been my mechanics for over 20 years
and they are very competent. TRF had the parts that we needed and they will
be in on Thursday. I have found the folks at TRF, MOSS and British Victoria
to be very descent. The guys at TRF even recommended other suppliers for the
parts that they did not have in stock.

When I get the TR back, it will have replacement front calipers, Steering
Rack, and both rear axles - wow. When I croak, I plan to be buried in this
car.

BYW, I could have bought a running TR4A IRS parts car for about what I have
in these parts but, as my mechanic reminded me, those axles would have
probably been frozen also. ;-)

TW