Metallic (vs organic) clutches

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Metallic (vs organic) clutches
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:15:25 -0700
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Oh knowledgeable ones-

I just purchased a new clutch disk to replace the (new, stock) one that
grenaded at the Moss Festival.  I had this one made at an established
clutch manufacturer down here in San Diego.  What I asked for (over the
phone) was a clutch that was a little more robust than a stock one, could
handle a little more RPM, and would hold slightly better.  Apparently, 9.5
inch clutches with a 1-1/6 x 10 spline hub are rarer then hens teeth.  What
I thought I would get was an organic, albeit with better material, and a
stronger spring hub.  What I got was riveted organic on one side, six
metallic pads riveted on the pressure plate side, with marcel, and a much
stronger spring hub.  I questioned the counter man about streetability, and
he said it would be O.K. but might grab slightly harsher on takeoff.  He
also warned about excessive slipping as it would ruin it quickly.  Not to
worried about the slipping issue, but am about wear and action.  Has
anybody used anything like this?  I'm a little leery of using it as I don't
want the thing snatching every time I leave a light.  I would like a smooth
takeoff.  I would think the marcel would help in that respect, but the
words of the counter man still linger in my head.  Anybody have any
comments? Suggestions?  Words of encouragement (I hope?)  I plan on doing
the work this weekend-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire