Lack of charging current

To: tr357@cdsnet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lack of charging current
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 98 13:18:13
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:08:00 -0700
From: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net> writes..."

>However, after polarizing twice, and a third
>time switching to negative ground, still no change in "lack of positive
>charge on amp gauge". Tried another Smith gauge; still only a negative
>movement of needle. Where do I go from here ?

Dennis, on my TR-4A (1967), this is a sure indication of stuck points in the
voltage regulator.  While the engine is running, I open the bakelite cover,
manually close the points with a light finger pressure (I think it is the
lower set that sticks, but I forget exactly which one right now), and the
problem goes away.

I don't know if what I do could cause any injury damage; all I know is it
seems to be a sure cure for my car when I see the same symptom you describe.
As as more cautious approach, you might first adjust the regulator as per
instructions in the Bentley manual, a procedure which includes some diagnostics
to help determine proper function.

Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute