TR6 Engine Rebuild?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Engine Rebuild?
From: Michael Morelli <mvmorel@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:28:09 -0700
Hi All,

I've not been on the list for a few months do to taking a new
job and relocating from Houston to Seattle.

When I left I had discovered that my 76 TR6 had dropped its
TWs into the sump.  The block, crank, and 4th main bearing cap
had taken some abuse.  I've been in the hunt for a new block/
engine and I have a few leads, but non of them 76s.  If I could find
a bear block I'd get than and rebuild it using my existing 76 parts; however,
since most of the engines I've been looking at are *reasonably* complete,
I'm thinking of maybe rebuilding it separately and saving the 76 until I find
a donor block (then finish that job).

My questions are:

1) can I put any year combination of block/head/carburetors/transmission
together and into a 76 chassis?

2) if not, what year model engine should I be looking for (say if I had
a choice between a 70,71,72,74).  That is, what was a good engine year and one
that will fit within my chassis?

3) I'll most likely be picking up an engine at a salvage yard.  These engines
have
been on the shelf for at least 15 years.  Some have more parts than others.
If looking at one verses another what parts should I be sure to get (i.e., is it
better to get matted carbs than lets say a distributor)?

4)  All these engines were "running" before being shelved.  Does that mean I
have
a chance of cleaning it up, completing the hang-ons, tuning it up, and actually
running it?

5)  What would be the minimum I'd have to replace (internally) to get such an
engine to
run for the rest of the summer (i.e., front and rear main seals, bearings,
TWs,...)?  That is,
assuming the engine was reasonably moth-balled and not physically damaged in
any way.

6) I've read the Haynes and Bentley manuals on engine tear down and rebuild,
but is
there a description anywhere that addresses taking an old junked engine,
diagnosing it,
tearing it down, and building it back up again?  Obviously there are things
that must be
replaced....

7) does anyone complied a list of parts required to do a complete rebuild?

8) can the head of a later year model be milled to give higher CR?  How high can
one practically go (i.e., valve clearance, blown head gasket,....)

Thank you for your assistance and wisdom.  I hope to be joining you on
the road soon!

Oh, I'm currently get the digest on my home account, so I'd greatly appreciate
direct
replies to my work e-mail.  Thanks.

Mike Morelli
76 TR6 -- needing a new engine