Re: TR6 tubular push rods

To: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis@fiac.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 tubular push rods
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, James H. Davis, Jr. wrote:

> No machine shop to which I took the pushrods (with the comp. manual) could
> figure out what the hell this explanation meant, or how to accomplish this
> shortening feat. Anyone actually have this procedure completed? If so, how?

...see below...

> > >From Kastner's Competition Preparation Manual on shortening push rods
> > --- "this shortening can be easily done in a lathe with a cut off tool.
> > The end of the push rod is not removed for this shortening work.  The
> > cut off tool is ground the width that you wish removed from the length
> > of the push rod and then the cut off tool is placed directly on the end
> > of the tubing where the pressed steel ends meet the steel tube.  This
> > tubing is then cut down to the steel insert end and the insert end
> > pressed down to the steel tubing again."

Say you want to remove 1/8 of an inch.  You would therefore use a piece of
1/8" thick tool steel to fabricate the cutting tool that would actually do
the.

Align the tool in the lathe so that it's just cutting off the pushrod
below the steel insert.  (only taking 1/8 off!)

Cut the pushrod to sever it but stop before the tool reaches the insert.
The cut should be perpendicular to the pushrod shaft.

Remove from lathe and press insert into shaft of pushrod.  Total length
should be 1/8" less.

Substitute number of choice for 1/8"

(Sometimes I think these guys play dumb because they just don't want to do
it for ya... I have to trouble following the Kastner theory)

With a bit of luck you could probably do this by hand with a hacksaw.  I
do NOT recommend such a practice.

-Malcolm