Re: TR4 chromed switch

To: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 chromed switch
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:09:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dennis,

Correct me if I'm wrong, group, but I think all the "new" switches from
the various suppliers are painted black, not chromed as original. I know
that's the case with the OD switch & believe the same is true for the
turn signal.

So you have limited choices, the best of which may be to find a used
switch. I have the original in my car working beautifully. With a used
switch you'll have to worry about the plastic end-piece being cracked or
broken. Mine has been replaced by knurled aluminum (not terribly OEM).

In the case of a new unit, it should be possible to disassemble the
switch carefully & have that piece chromed, but I don't know what to do
about the plastic end piece during that process. Maybe carefully remove
it then epoxy it back on? Any suggestions out there? I wish you could
buy just the plastic end-pieces! That seems to be the main thing that
wears out over time. Of course, I live in Calif. where no one uses their
turn signals anyway!

Suggestion: Anyone having problems with an old electrical switch or
corroded connection should try a good cleaning with Color TV Tuner
Cleaner (I buy mine from Radio Shack, there are other brands too). It's
a spray can. Be careful about gettiing it on surrounding plastic, paint,
etc. areas (although I've never noticed a specific problem), but I've
solved many an electrical gremlin with it. I always have a can in the
garage.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602