Re: TR-3 Bypass Hose

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR-3 Bypass Hose
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:01:52 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Fred,

I was surprised to see what your age is the other day.  You olefart, you're
a year younger than me.

Schaller said that the bypass hose was to provide a faster warmup in the
chilly English climes.  It kept some of the coolant from going into the
radiator.  And of course, it's to use with the skirted thermostats which we
can't get anymore.  My impression is that we don't need it, and the head
still gets adequate circulation.

Sumner

----------
> From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
> To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
> Subject: Re: TR-3 Bypass Hose
> Date: Friday, July 31, 1998 12:05 PM
>
> Sumner Weisman wrote:
> >
> > Those of you who recently discussed plugging the bypass hose for more
> > efficient cooling finally got me to do something.   Thanks everybody!
> >
> > Bob Schaller, in his booklet "More BS about TR's", suggested tapping
the
> > water pump hole, where the top of the bypass hose connects, with a 3/8
NPT
> > pipe tap, and screwing in a brass plug.  I didn't really want to do
that,
> > because I didn't like the idea of all those metal particles that I
wasn't
> > able to clean out floating around in the cooling system.  Others on the
> > List suggested plugging the bottom end of the hose with a metal plug,
and
> > that's what I ended up doing yesterday.  I didn't expect a drastic
> > improvement, because with the electric fan and adjustable thermostat I
put
> > in a coupla years ago, the car no longer overheats.
> >
> > Results?  A test drive showed the following:  Where before the temp.
gage