RE: How did I learn to love LBCs (not too long)

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: How did I learn to love LBCs (not too long)
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 08:48:44 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My story is not much different from the rest of us.  I had a friend in high
school who had an MGB.  We were always working on the electrical system.
Finally he dumped it and got a TR6.  I was in love and had to have one.
Bought a 71 or 72, can't really remember. In college, as soon as school was
out, I used to hop in the car and head for Colorado and the mountains.  It
was great fun, tooling through the mountains with top down and majestic
peaks rising all around. Had it a couple years when fuel started leaking
from the fuel pump, caught fire and burned the car down. Ended up in a Dodge
van.  Got tired of that pretty quick and sold it to my brother and bought a
240Z.  That was a great car too, but was the last year of the 240 and
emissions had ruined the performance.  That car absolutely would not start
under 30 degrees.  That was a substantial problem in Minnesota winters.  By
that time wife and child had appeared and was the end of the two seaters.
What followed was an Opel Kadet and then a long line of Toyotas.

The long LBC slumber lasted until last summer when I decided I had to have
one again.  I am still close friends with my high school buddy, we regularly
support the long distance companies talking.  He has followed my restoration
with interest, even longing for his own again.

Yesterday one of the local radio stations was taking calls on where you
"cruised" as a kid, so I called in and told about Lake Street in
Minneapolis, Pearson's drive in, and the TR6.  The DJ said "OOOO, I loved
those cars" so we chatted a moment on the air about the restoration and my
current daily driver. I can't decide whether I had more fun "back when" or
now.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK