NO springs do not stretch while on blocks.

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: NO springs do not stretch while on blocks.
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 21:34:25 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-10-01 20:35:48 EDT, walker05@camosun.bc.ca writes:

>> It was found in the spring that the weight of the hanging suspension had
>> stretched the coil springs such that the car rode noticeably higher than
>> when it was put away. It took two full years for the springs to regain
>> their original form. (thinking back, he may have replaced them ) Car
>
>OK, but here's the catch- did anything permanent happen?  My TR4 has been
>up on blocks for about a year now.  I had to be under it so much and I
>didn't want it to move- figgered the frame was the strongest point.
>
>I don't mind my springs being stretched a bit.  Just don't want to think
>about anything nasty happening while I sit here and type :-)

There is NO way the springs could stretch from being up on blocks.  If the
suspension hangs down,  the springs can only go to their natural total length,
and they can't even go that far.   Nothing in the suspension will hang any
weight on the springs to cause stretching on a TR front end. Even if there was
some weight on the springs is surely could not stretch them in such a short
time, with so little force.  This would imply that the pounding of a normal
suspension on springs as you drive would surely shorten the springs in no time
at all.  With any stock suspension system there is always some compression on
the springs, even with the weight of the vehicle on blocks.  Take a front end
apart if you want a demonstration.  Why is a spring compressor required ?
There might be something else going on but it is surely not spring stretching.
Bob Paul