Re: Up on blocks?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Up on blocks?
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:15:00 GMT
On 2 Oct 1998, Eileen Kramer wrote:

> Question:
> How else does one put the car "up on Blocks"?

I assume that they have put blocks (or stands) placed under the frame.
Which would require the car to be lifted higher in order for the wheels to
clear the ground, compared to the normal blocks-under-suspension method.

But anyway, as has already been said: There is really no way that the
springs could "stretch" from such a treatment. For that to happened, they
would have to be extended (by force) beyond their natural length (form).

The only (very far fetched) possibility that I can think of would beam a
solid beam rear axle with cart (leaf) springs, with no sort of outbound
bump stop mechanism, dangling under the car under the weight of the axle
and differential unit. But firstly, wouldn't at the very least the damper
limit the outward travel? And secondly, if no bump stop whatsoever
existed, I would very much doubt that the weight of the rear axle could
exert enough force to bring the metal in the springs to the point of
permanent change. Even over an extended period of time.

Perhaps the change in ride height was in the mind of the owner? With fond
memories of how snuggly his LBC used to embrace the pavé. ;-)

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway