RE: oil trivia

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: oil trivia
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:21:11 -0500
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> In the course of some design work I'm doing I was looking at a
viscosity
> table and discovered an interesting bit of trivia for oil. For each
step in
> viscosity number, light oil doubles in viscosity; i.e SAE 20 oil is
twice
> as viscous as SAE 10 and SAE 50 is10 times the viscosity of SAE 10.
Now you
> know...

Let's see . . .

SAE 10 has viscosity X
SAE 20 has viscosity 2X (twice that of SAE 10, as you note)
SAE 30 has viscosity 4X (twice that of SAE 20, or 2 * 2X = 4X)
SAE 40 has viscosity 8X (similarly)
SAE 50 has viscosity 16X (and so forth)

Since you say the viscosity of SAE 50 is _10_ times that of SAE 10, why
do I get _16_ times the viscosity?

Just wondering,

Jim Hill
Madison WI