Re: Transmission

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@iso.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 21:57:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Ronald A. Dowty wrote:

> Is there a way that I can identify the year of the car a particular
> transmission came fromif I had the transmission? If so how.

You can come reasonably close with the serial number for the transmission
(location differs depending on which gearbox/ which model of Triumph
we're talking about).

Using an older Spitfire as an example:

Let's say the car's commission number is FC28000L. This would be a car
built sometime during 1964. It could have had as original a gearbox
with a number somewhere in the FC26000-FC30000 range; that is strictly a
guess  Often gearbox and rear axle numbers are not all that close to
the car's commission number. Note, however, that engine numbers often ran
much closer to the commission number.

Hope that helps a bit. If you have the serial number of the gearbox
handy, pass it along and we all can take a semi-educated guess as to the
vintage.

--Andy